Monday, May 12, 2008

Nationals Pool Play Preview

The pools are set:

http://college2008.upa.org/files/Game%20Schedule%20(2008%20College)%20-%20Open.pdf

and it’s a nifty little worksheet that you can print out to keep score at home.

It looks like we drew the 8th seed and the A pool, and I think we couldn’t be happier. We play Delaware first at 8:30am Friday morning. Should be the easiest game of the tournament as long as we take them seriously and take care of business.

The other match-up in our pool should be interesting: UNT vs. Florida. Both teams run a tight rotation. Both teams rely on 3 or 4 studs. Both teams play a game based around their height. Florida has a little bit more skill depth to round out all seven players on the field, but UNT’s top two longs will give Brody and Gibson trouble. Florida also has a nasty habit of playing poorly early in the morning, but they may have fixed that since that bit of news recently appeared on RSD. I definitely think UNT has a solid chance to spoil.

Oh UNT. Yes, I sang your praises quite well in that last paragraph, and you may be thinking, “Wow, Rip has us picked to go all the way!” WRONG! Our whole team, which includes me, hates you. Our wrath has only grown since Mardi Gras, and I’m pissed to be sitting at home with a broken leg while my team destroys you. We will play our game, and you will cry. My prediction: the Illini win by murder.

Florida, I hear you guys are pretty good. Garnering the top seed at nationals is quite a feat, and I commend your efforts. But remember us? We played you close in Vegas, losing by 3 and then by 2. You won, but you knew you weren’t dominant. Then we played you at Centex. You were scared. We took half on you, but you eked that one out by one point. Let’s see, we lost by three, then two, then one. Do you see the pattern here? It’s a long fall from the top; I hope you packed your parachutes.

I’ll be watching events closely as scores are reported online as well as receiving calls from the team. Bracket preview will be up by Friday evening.

3 comments:

codem said...

man, i don't know who you are, but you need to go with your team to nationals. i hope that you can't make it because of something really important and i am coming off like a dick. either way, go this year or best of luck in making it next year (and go then). special little experience you are potentially missing out on but it looks like your team will have enough to make it next year too. (sorry miami OH and north park)

Rip said...

Yeah, the doc said that the risk of blood clots at that altitude is pretty high in conjunction with the surgery he just did on my ankle. I really wanted to go, but I really don't wanna die from a heart attack either.

ckrichter said...

We want predictions!