Thursday, June 4, 2009

Tribute to a Coach

The first time I ever talked to Matt Stupca, I sent him an email before I had even met him. I had a class that conflicted with the start of practice, and I wanted him to know that even though I’d be late, I still wanted to play with the team. I guess I didn’t need to do that, since we don’t make cuts, but I was a young freshman at the time. I showed up to practice, introduced myself, and then he showed me how to throw a forehand.


The first semester I practiced under his direction, I noticed one thing. He lets the team leaders take charge while still providing guidance. I enjoyed this style of coaching for a variety of reasons but mainly because it allowed the team to put their confidence in the leaders on the field. It also allowed the captains to develop confidence in themselves.


Stupca’s coaching ability increased every year. He became a key player and leader for Chicago’s elite club team, Machine. At this point, his coaching ability fully matured. Practices became more efficient and focused. The workouts were more productive. We went to better tournaments and won games against better opponents. Yes, we had a lot of raw talent, but even the most athletic teams need “ultimate smarts” in order to be an elite team. I fully credit Stupca for molding us into an elite team.


As our coach, Stupca volunteered what little free time a PhD student has. Such dedication is a rarity, and I feel that the gravity his efforts may be lost on some of our younger members. Without his direction, I doubt Illinois Ultimate would be half the program it is today. He has been the one constant through our last six years of sectional championships, regional championship, and national appearances.


I’m proud to have called him coach.

1 comment:

Keenan said...

my thanks also to stupca, he's been a great influence on all of our ultimate development during the entire time he's been at illinois.

thanks again stupca
keenan