Monday, August 4, 2008

The (Unofficial) Start to the Year

College Ultimate is a year round sport, and as such, we really don’t have the luxury of an off season, unless you get injured. Officially, the UPA starts the college season with college sectionals, but we play in more than the 3 tournaments of the college series. So, when does our season actually start?

I like analogies, so I’m going to use football. When school starts, it’s just like reporting to camp. We get to see who all is returning and who all is getting their first taste of Ultimate. The fall tournaments are like pre-season games. We get to test our mettle against other teams and get a good picture of where the team stands in comparison to the league. The spring tournies up to sectionals constitute our regular season. These games definitely count and could have a bearing on the post season: sectionals, regionals, and nationals.

So, with camp starting in a few days, I decided to make a list of the things that I look forward to the most during this time of year.

1. Club Drinktionals. With a last minute trade, Cole and I nearly had it won last year. Since I can’t play in tournaments this semester, this is the only chance at glory that I’ll have. You guys may be practicing ultimate, but I’ll be incorporating beer pong and flip cup into my physical therapy.

2. Rookies coming to an ultimate party for the first time. There’s nothing like the sweet smell of five beers poured into one disc.

3. Sending our new treasurer to that blasted, mandatory RSO meeting instead of going myself. Have fun Kyle.

10 comments:

Keenan said...

and not to be forgotten, the rookie bag rule for those rookies at their first party

Rip said...

Keenan, it is officially named "The Chuck Rule".

Pat said...

This post was weak Rip. There are like 85 things to look forward to during the first week of school. Including my triumphant return...

CP said...

good analogy, also in football games are usually played once a week on weekends, not unlike ultimate tournaments.

youve got a good blog, so good in fact that i gave you a shoutout on my own, check it out if you have a chance (http://withoutaprosthetic.blogspot.com/).

i wish you illini boys all the best this season.

Rip said...

Pat, I clearly set the bar much higher than you do. It takes a lot to impress me. Your return = not impressive.

Joel said...

Pat got served!!

Damn Boy.

Pat said...

Oh Slam! Bam! This coming from the guy who was most impressed with NC St. out of any team we played this year. Right....

Tell me Mr. Ripsky, does holding the current titles of Club and College Drinktional Champion impress you? Now who did we beat in the semis last year....Might as well call it the Pat Stephens Challenge.

Rip said...

Pat, I'm pretty sure you got owned by 00 on NC State. Read my recap of CCC. Nevermind, I'll post it for you right here.

"I must make note that number 00 on NC State made one of the sickest grabs I’ve ever seen. Pat had him covered deep and both made an initial play for the disc that caused them both to stumble without getting a hand on it. Then, 00 lays out a good 6 yards and over Pat to make the grab just before the disc hit the ground."

Taste it Pat.

Your team of three beat a team of two (Cole and me) and a Team of Sophomores at their first club drinktionals. You are right Pat. That's way more impressive than NC State.

Pat said...

Way to finish it out Rip. You're the coolest. I can keep exchanging blows if you want (on any of the comments you just made), but that wasn't my intention. Keep up the good work.

Zub said...

^
|
|
Alot of negative energy on this comment page...